This morning, I presented my first-ever quality improvement project for my new hospital. I have presented a lot of studies in my previous hospitals, but this one’s my first here in my new job.
My study dealt with the use of patient arm bands. I made four random checks on patients from November to December, and their arm bands were checked as to presence and accuracy. I found out that although nurses are compliant with putting an arm band on patient, what’s written on the arm band itself is not accurate. The MRN and name are correct, but patient location is different. That is because nurses fail to change arm bands when they receive trans-in patients from either ER, ICU or HDU.
I presented some recommendations during this morning’s presentation. I also designed a poster to remind nurses to check their patient’s arm bands carefully.
I came from the night shift and so I was not really my best self when I did my presentation this morning. But nevertheless, I was able to do it well. Kudos to myself!